Counting down to moving day – Part 3
16th March, 2014
1–2 weeks to go… are you ready?
With only a couple of weeks til moving day, it’s really getting down to crunch time. Stay organised and on track – here’s our moving house checklist with some of the important steps you’ll need to take at this point.
- Organise family or friends to mind your kids or pets on moving day
- Notify utility services and arrange connection/disconnection of your phone line, gas, electricity and water
- Get your mail redirected through your local Post Office
- Change your address on the licence and registration of your vehicles
- Get your car checked if you’ll be driving it a long way
- Notify the bank and the tax office of your change of address
- Cancel your subscriptions and deliveries – newspaper, groceries, etc.
- Cancel any domestic services – gardening, mowing, cleaning and so on
- Draw up a layout plan of your new home, showing where you want all your furniture to go, so you can give this to your removalist
- Clean out your garage or garden shed
- Drain your lawn mower and remove batteries from battery-powered items
- Safely dispose of any flammable items
- Start preparing some essentials for moving day. Set aside bedding and towels to be used on the first day after the move.
This is Part 3 of our handy moving checklist. Follow the links to read parts 1–6:
- Part 1 – 2 months to go… time to get prepared
- Part 2 – 1 month to go… get down to details
- Part 4 – 2 days to go… what’s left?
- Part 5 – 1 day to go… keep calm and defrost your freezer
- Part 6 – Moving day!
Find out more about Kent local removalists.