Counting down to moving day – Part 4
16th March, 2014
2 days to go… what’s left?
It’s not long now til you make your big move. Now’s the time to make sure you’re prepared for anything that gets thrown at you over the next couple of days. Check and finalise all the arrangements you’ve made, and make sure you have the essentials close at hand.
Use our moving checklist to remind you of anything you might forget in the excitement!
- Start packing – or if your removalist is doing the packing for you, organise your belongings and make sure everything is where it should be. It’s a good idea to write an inventory list and keep track of which items will be packed together.
- Put together a Survival Kit for all those vital things you’ll need immediately after the move, and make a list of what will go in it. Include:
- Essential medications and first aid kit
- Pet essentials like food, leashes and bowls
- Your kids’ favourite toys
- Snacks and basics
- Pyjamas, school uniforms and work clothes
- Review your moving documents and make sure nothing is missing. Do you have:
- Medical records, IDs and birth certificates for each member of your family?
- Veterinary records for your pets?
- School records for your kids?
- Permits for anything that will be going through quarantine?
- All the documentation from your moving company, with confirmation of all the services they’ll be providing?
- Return and collect – pick up your dry cleaning and return any videos or items you’ve borrowed.
- Organise parking and access for the removal vans.
- Use up the last of the food in your fridge!
- If you’ve asked a friend or family member to mind your kids or pets on moving day, check with them and make sure they’re prepared.
If anything is missing, don’t panic! Your removalist should be your first port of call at this point, and they will be doing everything they can to keep your move on track.
Good removalists are also moving experts. If there’s anything you’ve forgotten, they can advise you on how to take care of it as quickly as possible to avoid stress.
This is Part 4 of our handy moving checklist. Follow the links to read parts 1–6:
- Part 1 – 2 months to go… time to get prepared
- Part 2 – 1 month to go… get down to details
- Part 3 – 1–2 weeks to go… are you ready?
- Part 5 – 1 day to go… keep calm and defrost your freezer
- Part 6 – Moving day!
Find out more about Kent local removalists.